INFORMATION for ALL GRANT APPLICATIONS for 2020-2021
- Applicants must be employees of Unit 5 and/or District 87. Both certified and support staff are eligible to receive grant awards.
- Grants will be awarded without regard to an applicant’s school district, race, age, creed, gender or national origin.
- In the event the recipient relocates to another position, school, or out-of-district, the grant may be withdrawn. However, if it can be demonstrated that the project will be carried out as envisioned, the grant may be retained with BTBEF approval.
- Prior grant recipients are eligible to apply.
GRANT TYPES AND FUNDING AMOUNTS
BEYOND THE BOX
One grant of $10,000 (no more, no less) will be awarded in this category for an exceptional proposal. The $10,000 award is given by a private foundation to Beyond the Books Educational Foundation and BTBEF selects the winner.
Grants awarded in this category are limited to requests for $401 to $5,000.
Grants awarded in this category are limited to $400 or less.
- Applications MUST be submitted via Apply (formerly FluidReview). Alternate submissions (via USPS, email, etc) will NOT be accepted.
- When the opening date for Apply has been determined, it will be announced through the districts, BTBEF website, Facebook, etc. To get started on your application now, please use the Grant Application Planning Guide.
- Be aware there are different word limits for each required response. These are noted on the application and planning guide.
- Applicants must provide the email address of their principal on the application so that the principal will have access to read and approve the application.
- When the application is complete, the applicant will click the ‘mark as complete’ button. This will submit the application to the principal.
- Once the principal approves the application, it will automatically be submitted to BTBEF.
- The deadline for principal approval/submission is Monday, March 2, at 5:00 PM. Be sure to ‘mark as complete’ early enough for your principal to be able to meet this deadline.
- Apply does NOT accept edits or uploads to applications once they are submitted.
- Once the application has been automatically submitted, the applicant will receive a confirmation email.
GUIDING CRITERIA FOR ALL GRANT PROPOSALS
- All applications (Beyond the Box, Standard, and Mini) will be scored using the rubrics.
- Proposals will be evaluated on:
- Innovation and creativity
- Clarity of goals and objectives
- Impact on student achievement
- Collaboration with others
- Effectiveness of teaching strategies
- Sustainability or justification for a one-time event
- Evaluation of outcomes
- Realistic and complete budget that aligns with program goals
- BTBEF is committed to a blind review. Applications that include any name(s) of district(s), school(s), staff member(s) or other identifying information (such as mascot, school colors, etc.) will be ‘returned without review’. Careful proofreading will help avoid an application being ‘returned without review’. Applications are not reviewed until the deadline has closed so there is no opportunity to rewrite the proposal and remove any identifying information that violates the blind review policy.
- The Budget must provide an itemized list, including cost per item, in whole dollars.
- The Budget must strongly align with proposal goals.
- Salaries of district employees and substitute staff are not funded; outside personnel (such as honorariums) may be considered.
- Professional development will not be funded. For example, registration fees for workshops and/or conferences, travel, lodging, food, and like expenses of district employees will not be funded.
- Food should not be a major element of the grant. Include food only if it is essential to the success of the project and explain why.
- Technology that is requested should be used in innovative ways, and/or have significant impact on student achievement. Technology should be a tool to support, or an integral part of, a well-defined project.
- Funding for consumable supplies/materials or one-time experiences must be justified.
- The grant must be used solely for the purpose described in the application.
- Foundation approval must be obtained before any changes may be made in the scope of the project, or in the recipient.
- Grant winners are to request funds from the business office of their district and the district will administer the disbursement of grant dollars. The Foundation will forward all awarded funds to each district after June 1, 2020.
- Funds must be used during the 2020-2021 school year or during the summer of 2021; otherwise, funds may be forfeited.
- The Beyond the Box Grant recipient must, by September 15, 2021, submit a complete report of the grant work and outcomes to BTBEF as provided in the award information. This report will be forwarded to the private foundation that sponsors the award.
- Recipients of a Standard Grant or Mini Grant may be asked to complete a survey at the end of the 2020-2021 year with details of the project and process.
- BTBEF appreciates public acknowledgment of the benefits to student learning that is provided through the financial support of the Foundation.
- Printed materials resulting from work carried out under the grant should specifically acknowledge support of the Foundation.
GRANT WRITING TIPS
Read these Helpful Hints before you get started on your grant application!
GRANT APPLICATION PLANNING GUIDE
Use this helpful Grant Application Planning Guide as you prepare your grant application.
GRANT APPLICATION RUBRICS
All applications (Beyond the Box, Standard, and Mini) will be scored using the rubrics found below, or on the pages for each grant level.
Check out the 2019-2020 grant winners.