July 2, 2021
2021-2022 Grant Recipients
Educators in District 87 and Unit 5 submitted 63 mini and standard grant applications requesting a total of $119,338. The Foundation awarded $76,276 to 44 projects. Since 1992 $852,581 has been awarded to support 884 projects.
Early Education and Elementary Schools
* Mary Aper, Tena Sprau, Amanda Dytrych, Mary Current, Amber Thomas | $400 | You Can COUNT on First Grade!
* Lauren Romero | $4,985 | Orff Instruments – Helping meet students where they’re at!
Benjamin (Fox Creek, Glenn, Northpoint, Sugar Creek, Carlock and Oakdale)
* Lauren Romero, Alex Borst, Kiki Keeney, Beth Lesson and Kristyn Szwajka | $4,268 | Instrument and more: Adapting classic methods to current realities.
Benjamin (Glenn and Oakdale)
* Jennifer Gibson, Mary Aper, Angie Grubic, Hayley Harroun | $1,850 | Getting Math in Students’ Hands so they Understand it with Their Heads.
Brigham Early Learning
* Melissa Adams-McCarthy | $400 | Books Alive: Using objects, actions and engaged play to create literacy.
* Jason Alexander | $1,315 | Community Composting
* Jamie Haseman | $355 | Collaboration Boxes
* Kim Harmon and Carol Stawick | $4,900 | A Path to Success!
* Kristen Prahl | $398 | Selves on the Shelves: Creating a More Diverse Classroom Library
* Shauna Gourley | $4,875 | Feeding the Mind
* Kelli Halsey | $2,803 | STEAM Playground
Sarah E Raymond Early Education
* Noel Reidy, Wendy Iverson, Susan Mayan, Amanda Bittner, Jennifer Phelps, Sarah Bertram, Cassandra Dean, Rhonda Toft, Brenda Weir, Caitlyn Taylor, Justine Tumanan, Michele Stalter, Maria Fischmann, Kassandra Kwansy | $2,550 | Reading is Radical
* Lisa Ellis and Kara Thompson | $1,246 | I can do it!
* Annie McWilliams| $1,274 | Eye Can Do Anything!
* Jayme Corcoran, Zach Freeman, Andy Jones and Erin Scott | $1,995 | Lessons that Students “Dig”
* Zach Freeman | $1,999 | Using LEGOs to Develop STEAM Leaders in our Classrooms and Community
Junior High Schools
* Lisa Galliart | $233 | Apple Pharaohs
* Kate Shanks | $514 and $1,059 | Boom, Bang, Crash: Adding Sound Effects to Old Time Radio Broadcsts and You Can’t Handle the Truth: Taking a Stand for Characters on Trial
* McKenzie Adams, Erin Dobson and Janel Sebeny | $624 | Culturally Responsive Texts for Inter/Multidisciplinary Identity Units
* Jennifer Ritchason | $1,250 | A Unique Frame of Reference – History & Perspectives with Graphic Novels
* Lisa Clark | $4166 | Cupcake Wars for Middle Schoolers
* Rachel Heckman | $226 | Learning and Teaching Tolerance through Children’s Literature
* Suzie Hutton | $820 | A Literacy Celebration of Diverse Voices
* Greg Kocourek | $350 and $320 | Building a More Complete Mosaic and More Voices in our Historical Choir
* Greg Kocourek, Marsha Veninga, Suzie Hutton, Rachel Heckman, Matthew Mueller, Jonelle Yaklich, Teriann Bauer | $2555 | Get On Up: Exercise and Wellness First and Then Learning!
* Marsha Veninga | $400 and $820 | Field Biology for Beginners and I’m Done! What’s Next?
* Jessica Stutz | $311 | I need to unwind
* Brandon Thornton, Jen Weaver, Monica Estabrook, Sally Kelly, Courtney Marks | $2046 | Get Connected, Stay Connected: Young Alumni Association
Normal Community HS
* Brad Bovenkerk, Jacob Wiechman, Kevin Vernon | $4840 | Whisper Rooms: Amplifying Student Voice
* Liz Harris | $10000 | Making a (Green)house a Home
* Stephanie Hedgespeth, Christine Konopasek, Paul Krogmeier | $4391 | DisruptTexts: Disrupting To Kill a Mockingbird
* Daniel Higby, Donald Whitman, Scott Froelich, Brock Keller, Matthew Emberson | $4994 | Hands On Minds On Community
* Brad Smith, Justin Steve | $2000 | Bioengineering Brain-Machine Interface and Neuroscience Unit
Normal Community West HS
* Ali Akyuzl, Kailey Geiselman, Julie Hinman | $384 | Studio Photography Equipment for the Art Department
* Amanda Long | $398 | Insane in the Membrane
* Abagail Primo, Kathleen Pufahl | $1484 | Microscope Adapter: Viewing Cells Through a Camera
* Claire Rybarczyk, Liz Beggs, Heather Lueschen | $1484 | Best Brew
* April Schermann | $3604 | Full STEAM Ahead with Sphero – Putting Math into Motion
* Lisa Tomlin | $210 | Boning Up on Biology
* Catherine Unsbee | $398 | Mini-Q in World History
* Dave Weber, Jade Griffin, April Schermann| $377 | More Precise STEM
* Deana Wiist, Catherine Unsbee | $375 | Where? Why there? – Geographic Inquiry